Friday, June 6, 2008

Friday Feature No. 16 -- Featuring "A Bushel and a Peck"

Wow! It seems like last Friday was just yesterday! This week was our second full week with our little one. It's been an adventure. He is one of those kiddos who will run full tilt at ANYthing, and he has the energy of the other three of us put together! I am learning, that just like with a newborn, you have to rest when they're resting. I haven't done it yet, but I am learning.

Congratulations to "jessilyn", who is the winner of the Aralie Gardens Carved Rose Ring from Across the Pond. Thank you all for entering, and commenting.

Today, we are featuring one of my customers from my Rio Oso Designs Etsy shop....A Bushel and a Peck. Jeanne is the proprietess of A Bushel and a Peck, and is also a homeschooling mom with three children, ranging from 19 months to 8 years old.

Let's find out a little more about Jeanne:

TDB: What or who has been the greatest influence on your crafting?
Jeanne: My mom and grandmother have been the biggest influences on me creatively. My mom was always sewing and making things for our home. I believe this is why I don’t get intimidated very easily working on things. I am more likely to try something new because I was always encouraged to do so. I have also been influenced by my Grandma Jeanne. She passed away last spring. She was an amazing composer and pianist. Her home was filled with music, art, books and so many lovely things. I always thought of her life as being surrounded by beauty in so many aspects. I just love pretty things. I want what I make to be beautiful.
TDB: How did you find out about Etsy?
Jeanne: I found out about Etsy through one of my retailers. Kasey, at Lola B’s Boutique in St. Charles, Illinois www.lolabboutique.com really encouraged me to try Etsy. She kept bugging me about it till I opened my Etsy “doors” on February of this year.
TDB: As a homeschooling, babysitting wife and mom, I find it difficult to juggle the "crafting" and everything else. How do you find balance with all you do?
Jeanne: I admit that I stay pretty busy. It is hard to find a good balance sometimes. I also homeschool my children and love that I have the opportunity to do this. I know how blessed I am to have this time with them. With three children I really try to stick to running my business after the children go to bed. This has been more challenging as my business has grown and as I have added retailers. My husband, Kelly, has been so supportive and helpful that I wouldn’t want to even try to do all of this without him. I guess as things change and grow we are adjusting things to stay balanced.
TDB: If you could do one thing to change the way you live, what would it be?
Jeanne: Great question….I guess I would have to say to slow down more. I believe that I have really worked on this, but I want to get even better. I want to get better at saying “no” to the kitchen being cleaned and “yes” to the bike ride with the children. I will always have a kitchen to clean and someday my children won’t want to take a bike ride with me.
TDB: What is your favorite thing to make?
Jeanne: I enjoy making everything I sell, but I love making the journals. I have always loved different kinds of papers, notebooks, diaries, journals etc. It is something that a person daily or weekly interacts with. I like that it will be really used. I enjoy the thought of it getting worn and pages bent and hopefully saved because there are precious thoughts or lovely poems written across the pages.
TDB: Do you have a favorite Etsy shop to visit or buy from?
Jeanne: So hard to just pick one! I really love http://www.paperhill.etsy.com/. She has the most beautiful jewelry. I have bought several bracelets for myself and others. One of my good friends just bought me one of her necklaces for my birthday. It is absolutely gorgeous. It is truly a treasure to me. She is also so kind to work with and everything comes wrapped so lovely. This is very important to me also. I want the person receiving my item to feel like they are unwrapping a gift.
********************************************

Today, Jeanne is giving away a $20 Gift Certificate to be used towards anything in her shop. All you have to do to be entered to win is, check out A Bushel and a Peck, find something that you just ADORE, then come back here and comment about it. Only one comment per person please. Please make sure we have a valid way to get ahold of you if you are chosen.

Deadline to enter is Thursday, June 12th at Midnight PST.

Don't forget to enter to win one of BlueZoo Boutique's "Monkey Tails" Pacifier Clips!

10 comments:

Christy/Tiddly Inks Digitals said...

Cute stuff! Nice interview too. :)

amy luella said...

love the mix of fabrics on the "ann peasant dress"! there are many pretty materials and papers used on the products. i love the clutch purse, too!

julie king said...

all her things are lovely! thanks for sharing her with us.

Anonymous said...

What beautiful items! I love the Kathleen apron-- such beautiful material and design. Everything is so detailed and you can tell alot of time and love has been put into each item. Oh and I love your models :)!

Doreen said...

I like the Paris Journal! :)

misty said...

I love the Paris Journal, and the Mini Bird Notebook, and the Sophia peasant Dress. And everything else. lol. Thanks so much for the opportunity.

mistchlo@hughes[dot]net

Bunny B said...

Cute stuff!!
I love the The Luella Apron!
Thank you for the chance :)

bunnybox9 at gmail . com

Joanne said...

Oh it was so hard to decide on just one thing I adore so I'll have to comment on two things - The Luella Apron is just lovely, beautiful combination of fabrics. And I adore the Kathleen Apron - so ladylike and classy!
Thanks for a lovely competition.

Kasey said...

I LOVE her journals! I also love, love, love the frames!!!
Jeanne's the best! Great interview.
kasey

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Hello,

Enjoyed the interview and checked out your etsy "shop". I LOVED the letters....will you be coming out with the full alphabet? I need an I.

Thanks!